Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Universities Revoke Admissions For High Schoolers With "Senioritis"

Posted in the Chron:


High school seniors applying to college this fall had better follow through on academic promises and avoid "senioritis" because more schools are revoking admission for students who slack off.


Colleges and universities from coast to coast are cutting students whose senior grades drop dramatically or who do not complete the rigorous course of study they promised in their application.


California universities have rescinded hundreds of offers for this fall.


I like this comment from a University of Washington official:

"When they say, 'I'm taking a fourth year of language, I'm taking AP (Advanced Placement) this and AP that,' and when you see their final transcripts, it is underwater basket weaving and intro to breathing ... you wonder if you are on the same planet," said Admissions Director Philip Ballinger. "They don't look the same. You were duped."


You don't say.

And if some students think they can safely get away with senioritis, think again:

Although the University of California, California State University and Stanford University have been revoking admissions for decades, they are becoming even more aggressive about demanding that students be ready for college work when they arrive.


"We want the students to be prepared. The biggest reason students fail in college is their preparation in secondary school," said Jim Blackburn, a CSU enrollment director whose 23 campuses have been trying to reduce the number of freshmen needing remedial courses.


I'm against remedial courses at universities. That's what God invented community colleges for. But no one's consulted me on this matter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only reason I'm against going to community college (for me): two more years living at home.

Community colleges are a great thing. You don't want to work so hard in high school..whatever! Go to American River, pick yourself back up and transfer to a UC. Nothing against that, everything for it.

Ellen K said...

There IS a God. I have been complaining about this for years. I have had so many seniors make my spring classes torture. They slack off, they are rude and they know they are already accepted so they simply do not care. I am printing this and posting it prominently in my room!