Sunday, March 12, 2006

Joanne's Book Is Awesome

I just finished reading Joanne Jacobs' (see blogroll at left) Our School, a book about the first few years of an urban charter school which caters to underachieving students. I could pile on the praise here, but look at the time. Besides, the reviews at the Amazon link are dead on.

As I emailed to the author, I really enjoyed the vignette format of the book. The reader is moved along as much by the characters as by the events. In that regard it reminds me of The Goal, a book ostensibly about how to manage a factory efficiently but told as a real story with characters, a plot, as well as a lesson. Both books have a focused topic, but both also draw the reader into the story by sheer force of writing ability.

Now I can go get some sleep.

Oh, and go read Our School. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: