Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Real Torture

I've heard Admiral Stockdale speak, and have read articles he's written about his experiences in a Vietnamese prisoner of war camp. Senator John McCain has such stories, and former Senator Jeremiah Denton does, too. I've read about what happened to Nick Rowe.

Isn't it interesting at all that I know these men's names? That in itself should say something about their stories.

Senator Durbin's recent comments have quite rightly been condemned on both sides of the political aisle in Washington, but not by the American left. Perhaps Senator Durbin and others of his ilk should read this piece, which begins

As a Marine Corps officer, I spent five years and five months in a prisoner of war camp in North Vietnam. I believe this gives me a benchmark against which to measure the treatment which Sen. Richard Durbin, Illinois Democrat, complained of at the Camp of Detention for Islamo-fascists at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

No comments: